Thursday, September 24, 2009

Idiocy in Paradise

There's a town in SE Vermont, that I think is the financial hub of that area. It's a town called Brattleboro Vermont. While the people in that town were absolutely wonderful, and the town looks like something from a Thomas Kinkaid painting; I found the local newspaper to be the antithesis. Let me explain. At this point in time, the nation is at odds with it's liberal leadership. As the paper the "Brattleboro Reformer" (weekend edition) reported the news, I have to admit that I've never seen so many contortions to down play bad news in the 43 years I've been reading newspapers. I now understand why the last Presidential election played out the way it did in such a charming part of the country. The shear ignorance, and unapologetic diatribe that came from this rag would have been comedy in action, were it not for the fact that this town BELIEVES this blathering!

No wonder this town's council voted to arrest George W. Bush or Dick Cheney if they stepped foot into this ski-resort town. This is the same town council that passed a law saying any citizen can walk through the town streets in their birthday suits! And without weight restrictions no less!

Now, I'm not one of those people who say newspapers are supposed to be unbiased. I'm a big fan of the first amendment. I do, however, think intellectual honesty requires a biased view to be presented acknowledging that bias. For example, I saw a cartoon characterizing Obama as George Washington (Obama owns slaves?) and Congressman Joe Wilson as "Congressman Jerkasaurus"- and anyone who supported him as more "jerkasauruses". That's fair enough. Wilson violated protocol by accusing Obama of telling a lie (which makes one wonder how they could ever portray him as Washington); but one must take into account that Obama, that very weekend agreed to remove from his requirements the issue he actually had lied about in that address, (establishing that the accusation was in fact; true). I guess that necessitates the Reformer to be characterized as apologist for King George: "Editor Spinalotuchus".

No comments:

Post a Comment